Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maximum acceleration (Gs) that our miniature turbines can handle

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maximum acceleration (Gs) that our miniature turbines can handle

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 05:29 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Maximum acceleration (Gs) that our miniature turbines can handle

About 2 weeks ago, I had a flame out with my Ares L. The engine made some unusual noises and then silence. I almost made it back to the runway but slightly damaged the front gear mount after landing in a rough area. After inspection I noticed the electrical connection to the engine popped of. I assumed airflow from intake did that.

I repaired the plane and went back to the field a few days later. The engine failed to start with a bad glow plug message. At home, I removed the engine and found out traces of rubbing on the compressor and a missing blade on the turbine wheel (hot section). The obvious became apparent. I became more comfortable with the plane and was practicing some 3d maneuvers such as hovers, flat spins and square loop. I was having a lot of fun and likely over G'ed that engine causing it to break in flight. The electrical connection popped of due to vibrations after a catastrophic failure.

Obviously when something like that happens, my next step is to understand how to prevent it. One thing I can do is to add some voice warning when the plane exceeds some G limit. But the question becomes: what is the maximum G limit our micro turbines can handle at full power? So for example, if the limit is 15 I could set a warning at 10 etc...

Note: I don't wish to discuss what brand turbine I was flying or which brand X is better than Y. They all have limits. Just trying to figure out what the limits are.

Thanks!

Last edited by acw; 04-23-2024 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:16 AM
cetigershark

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default g load or gyroscopic effect

Hi there
I do not know how many Gs you put on the airframe during a typical flight, But with an ARES I think you will not get over 10Gs, the wing will stall before that value. What really makes the turbine assembly suffering is the gyroscopic effects. I mainly use Xicoy turbines and they explicitely do not recommend 3D flying (or extreme 3D flying) with their turbines. When you look at your compressor/intake section from the front, where is the rubbing/abrasion? If it is on the side (like 3 or 9 o'clock..) then it can be clearly from too many positive or negative Gs by a massive dive or pull up maneouvre.

Regards
Chris
Old 04-24-2024, 02:57 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The design of our turbines is based on the single / common shaft design , these are susceptible to torsional harmonic issues at certain attitude's - attitude's not altitudes
If it were possible to design in such a small package the turbo fan free shaft style it would make torsional issues a non event
In time we know a manufacture will come up with such design , till then ..... we have what we have

Old 04-24-2024, 03:37 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

It is not the G level that is causing the issue. Turbine rub (and subsequent damage) is primarily caused by the gyroscopic forces induced by very high Pitch Rates and/ or Yaw Rates.

Remember how hard it is to rotate a spinning bicycle wheel, or when playing with a gyroscope - our rotating turbine components are exactly the same, but ours are now spinning at 100,000rpm or more.

The gyroscopic forces generated by these pitch/ yaw rates are huge, and are transmitted through the bearings and into the case. With both the compressor and turbine wheels hanging off the end of the shaft, and only supported by the two bearings, they will naturally deflect, to include gyroscopic precession, and may start to rub.

Rubbing at 12/6 o'clock is signs of too much yaw rate, and rubbing at 3/9 o'clock is due to too much pitch rate. Precession effects show up 90degrees away from the applied rotation rate.

If you don't get rubbing and/ or catastrophic failure, you'd at least have to expect not to make the full 25hr bearing life.

There's been more than 1 full-size engine that has had major rub issues by flexing of the rotating parts due to gyroscopic forces. Leading to multiple aircraft losses and loss of life too. And they were designed top handle it too.

Our model engines survive this abuse more by luck than design.

Paul
Old 04-24-2024, 04:59 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Much if what has been written here, particularly about gyroscopic forces, makes eminent sense.
These engines are not made with 3d type flying in mind.
I don’t fly my jets “hard” but I found typical Gs about 4 for a loop or max rate turn. About the same as a fullsize jet trainer.
Even doing square loops with a 120 powered Reaction never exceeded 6 G and that was enough to slightly bend the aluminium wing tubes !
If you want real data, the V Speak vario pro. has a 3 axis a accelerometer, G meter, incorporated.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:13 AM
acw

Great information on this thread. Thanks all!

But then the key question becomes: how do people with 3d planes mitigating the very real risk of destroying their engines? Is there maneuvers that should clearly be avoided or only be done within some parameters (ex: low speed)? Where is the limit in practice? It appears that the line is blurry and to make things worse, we aren't in the plane to feel it.

V Speak vario pro is interesting and I could setup some warnings for over acceleration on each axis. I'll definitely try that.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:10 AM
JSF-TC

Is there maneuvers that should clearly be avoided or only be done within some parameters (ex: low speed)?
In my opinion, low speed is the worst of all. This is where maximum pitch/ yaw rates can be generated, and with the engine at high power. Just watch how quickly a low speed nose up or down tumble occurs - 1 to 2 seconds to flip fully around. At conventional (higher) speeds there is no way to generate those pitch/ yaw angular RATES, so the induced gyroscopic forces will be way less .

Note that high roll rates don't affect the engine at all.

Personally, like David, I only fly scale type maneuvers. 3D (prop or jet) does not interest me, so I can't comment on long-term engine issues that may be attributed to this style of flying.

Paul

Last edited by JSF-TC; 04-24-2024 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:31 AM
FlyJ

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acw
Great information on this thread. Thanks all!

But then the key question becomes: how do people with 3d planes mitigating the very real risk of destroying their engines? Is there maneuvers that should clearly be avoided or only be done within some parameters (ex: low speed)? Where is the limit in practice? It appears that the line is blurry and to make things worse, we aren't in the plane to feel it.

V Speak vario pro is interesting and I could setup some warnings for over acceleration on each axis. I'll definitely try that.
There are engines available that are plenty capable of handling the glycolic loads induced by extremely high rate flat spins. I’m currently using a Swiwin 220 on a CARF Diablo and it has been great. The flat spin rate is ridiculous. My estimate is close to 540°/second at full throttle. I’ve seen similar results with the Kingtech 210.

My guess is that you’re using a Xicoy which I’ve seen have issues with rubbing even without high gyroscopic loads. If you have an Ares, you shouldn’t be limited by the capabilities of the turbine. There are several turbines that can handle the torture of 3D flight, though you may need to send it in for bearing service at 18hrs instead of 25hrs.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:52 AM
JSF-TC

Part of the solution to getting higher thrust out of our modern and smaller engines is to reduce the clearances between the rotating parts (compressor and turbine wheels) and the adjacent static parts, to reduce the leakage of air.

With reduced clearances, there is less room available to allow the rotating parts to deflect under gyroscopic forces. Adding more structure on the fixed side adds weight, and adding a stronger/ stiffer shaft adds to the rotational inertia, slowing down engine response, so you get into a vicious circle of trying to make a small, powerful, responsive, light-weight and abuse-tolerant engine.

It sounds like Xicoy may have focused on the efficiency, size and light-weight goals, while some other brands may have traded some of that off resulting in it appearing to be more tolerant of the 3D flying style. It's all al balance.

Paul
Old 04-24-2024, 06:53 AM
acw

I have many Xicoys but that's not what I had in the Ares...

So you guys flying 3d, what specific engines are you successfully using? Success being defined as 10+ hours of runtime flying 3d without any problem?

Last edited by acw; 04-24-2024 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:04 PM
FlyJ

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acw
I have many Xicoys but that's not what I had in the Ares...

So you guys flying 3d, what specific engines are you successfully using? Success being defined as 10+ hours of runtime flying 3d without any problem?
Kingtech, jetcat and Swiwin have all been used successfully in 3D jets.

Swiwin 220s and 240s had a recall on the compressor wheel about 12 months ago. There are still many floating around that didn’t receive the new compressor wheel.